At MeasureCamp we are proud of producing an unconference where our community create high quality content and everybody who attends learns so much.
We are experts in our fields and, for the love of data, share new techniques, technology and insights. However what good is this if you are unable to communicate and share these insights? It’s for this reason that MeasureCamp has stepped up to the plate in organising our first ever Visualisation Competition, with entries on display at MeasureCamp 13 in London so everyone can marvel at your magnificent creations. HM Land Registry has kindly teamed up with us and will be providing the data.
HM Land Registry is responsible for keeping an up-to-date register of land and property ownership in England and Wales.
Their ambition is to become the world’s leading land registry for speed, simplicity and an open approach to data. Today their register holds more than 25 million title records covering 85% of the land mass of England and Wales, That is 12,920,340 hectares.
HM Land Registry would love to see how the MeasureCamp community visualise their data. You can straight up make a cool visualisation or blend it with any other free data source available to the public, of which there are many – but you already know that. Tech, tools and toys are open to you as long as the output can be rendered on your typical office worker’s laptop – unless you want to proffer your own kit for visualisation on the day.
The winner will be chosen according to: creativity/insight/relevance/general kick-assness.
HM Land Registry has generously donated three great prizes.
The winner of this competition will receive £310 worth of vouchers for red letter days and a Canon Powershot GX9. Choose from a range of exciting, thrill seeking days to relaxed indulgent experiences. There are a host of options for the more foodie orientated analyst, perhaps a wine tasting or if you just need to chill, why not book a spa break. Take the handy but feature packed powershot GX9 with you on your adventure. Which makes the total prize value just shy of £700!
“Alexa, play Eye of the Tiger.” Make it to second and you’ll be walking away with the ever so popular Amazon Echo 2. The posh one.
For the analyst that has everything, All4One vouchers to the value of £30.
Simply send your data visualisation to email@example.com, tweet a link or send a link that we can use to download it. The deadline for entry is Monday 10 September 2018, a week before the event.
We wanted to keep the brief quite open but essentially we are looking for the most exciting use of, and interesting insights into, the HM Land Registry data visualised.
2. Use your favourite data visualisation tool to create your masterpiece. It could be :
3. Feel free to remix it or mash it up with other data or visualise it in whatever way you think will look amazing and high quality. If you want to just use HM Land Registry data that is absolutely fine and will not hinder your chance to win! If you use another data source, make sure you have the right to use it and it can be used by us and HM Land Registry.
4. Share it with us via Twitter #MC13DataViz or via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. You must agree that the visualisation can be shown off at MeasureCamp in London and can be used by HM Land Registry as an example of how their data can be used.
6. Please enter with the view that your entry will be used by HM Land Registry in order to promote their open data.